Sunday, January 23, 2011

Round 200, Part 2

Hey dudes and dudettes. I'm chest deep in Creature design at the moment and neck deep at moderating duties. During the round 50 proceedings, the then-mod Fozzybar realeased a set of statistics detailing things about creature of the week. I'm doing the same now, only this time I have 200 (technically 202 with the Concept Cohesion included) rounds to worry about, and I'm actually being a bit more extensive in the info I'm providing. In the end, I've probably put more hours into the number gathering and recording of artists, than I have on these two creatures combined. Here are the current works in progress for the Gorgeous Sky Guardian and the Alpha Land Predator. The Sky guardian is actually the second design I chose to pursue, the first one was really frustrating me, though, and I feel like this one speaks more to my love of Miyazaki-style spirits. The Predator comes from a lot of things, but I wanted it to have the same vicious attitude and aggression of the honey badger. In the illustration I wanted to have him defending a kill (another, larger predator) from scavengers (based loosely off of Monitor Lizards, with a bit of Anole worked in).


2 comments:

  1. sky guardian is lookin more developed, but i did really like the one you were working on before. face is definitely not what i would call "gorgeous" though... is he gonna have more feathered wings? or are the orange bat wing parts replacing them? anyway, great rendering. even though it's done, the shading and color look very crisp.
    love the predator, but you gotta fix those back two legs, they look like rubber. great face though! mad original and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dude. The sky guardian's face is going to get the same kind of treatment that the skin of my Wonder got (that white and purple creature) wherein it will look sort of like relief sculpture. Do you remember that weird serpent thing I did that you originally wanted to use in the Sidford album art with the mask? That's sort of the look I was going for.

    You're totally right about the predator's legs, Half of what I've been doing is trying to get those fuckers right, but I had a dream last night where I redid them to be a lot more like rodent claws and it looked awesome, so I'm probably going to redesign them in that way. I'll try and get them looking more muscular and sinewy, too, so they really get across that even though this guy is small, he'll tear you up.

    Also, I forgot to tell you on Skype, the other night, but I had this dream where instead of painting and drawing these past few months, you'd been fixing up a really rusty old freight train engine, and you were going to drive it to Montreal (on the highway)... Thought you ought to know what you're next project has to be.

    ReplyDelete